Saturday, October 1, 2011

My Hippie Ways

  No, I don't bathe in patchouli, wear prairie skirts, and not shave.  Really, it's more natural type of things.
  I only use shampoo and conditioner on my hair about once a week. Ew, right? Don't worry, I still clean my hair and scalp. Between shampoos I use baking soda and a vinegar. It started with me seeing a lot of things online about going "Shampoo Free" At first I thought, gross. Then I started thinking about how my hair has changed since having the Peanut. If I wash my hair every day, my scalp gets amazingly dry, itchy, and tight. If I wash it every other day, then it's all oily and icky. Washing my hair every day and half just seems silly. So I decided to try the 'poo free thing.

  The method: There are quite a few ways you can do this, if you are so inclined to try.  Wet your hair really, really well. Scrub your scalp with your finger tips to get the oils nice and loose. Then use about a tablespoon of baking soda (less for fine hair, probably a bit more for thick, curly hair) Add just enough water to make a paste. Then scrub it through your scalp. The baking soda breaks down the oils and loosens all the dirt. Let the baking soda sit on your scalp a moment then rinse. REALLY REALLY rinse. Trust me. If you don't you end up with nasty, crunchy baking soda hair.
  To condition your hair, you'll need an empty shampoo bottle, apple cider vinegar, and some honey.  Then do 1 part apple cider vinegar, 3 parts water, and a very generous dollop of honey. Shake until the honey dissolves. (I started adding honey because it cuts some of the cider vinegar smell and am pretty sure honey is supposed to be good for your skin) Pour the cider mix all over your head. Let sit for a bit, then rinse. Don't worry, you won't smell like salad head. The smell goes away.
  If you decide to try this, let me say it takes about a week for the natural oils in your scalp to adjust. I figured out I can do the baking soda washing every other day and my hair stays nice. Most of the people I read who do this say they never feel the need to use conventional shampoo, but I do. I use store bought shampoo and conditioner once a week or so. For deep down cleaning and to remove any possible paint, play dough, and the like.
  I started doing this on The Peanut, too. It actually works a ton better with her hair. Must be cause she's not done all the crazy to her hair.

No comments:

Post a Comment