Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Happiness and Gratitude

Life is hard and the world cruel.  No matter how wonderfully fantastic your life is, there will be times when the feeling of emptiness can creep into our lives.  As a upper middle class woman in the United States I think, thank God I don't have to carry water miles from a well, or search for firewood and risk rape or worse.  I have a roof over my head, hot and cold running water, why am I feeling empty? I think it's human nature that at times a darkness comes over us and discontentment rears it's ugly head.   I'm not talking about a clinical depression, but a short term black cloud that seems to hanging over us.  For me I've found, the best way to send that darkness away is to start counting my blessings.  I don't care what god you believe in, but I do mostly believe in the one God, but I'm not opposed to thinking that she's a woman.  Two messages of thankfulness came my way today.




Feel free to insert the deity of your choice for the word "god".  I'm not a terribly religious person.  All I know is that I am the most happy and at my personal best when I make a conscious decision to operate from a center of love and gratitude and forgiveness.  When I'm conscious of being thankful for the food that I really wasn't in the mood to cook for my family or for the ease of an automatic washer and dryer for the laundry that I reaaaallllyyy don't like doing,  it is these times that I know I am better able to handle a stubborn child or a cranky husband.


 
Now mind you, if I did wake up today and find myself with the things I thanked God for yesterday, I'd be hoping that coffee and chocolate would take me a long way.  So yesterday maybe I wasn't glowing with gratitude, and I might not be today either, but I am giving it serious consideration.  






No comments:

Post a Comment